Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Little Miss Sadies' Special Day



Surrounded by love! I love the day my grand babies are given a name and a blessing! Whether it is in English or Italian, I love that they are surrounded by so much love. That the holy priesthood is used to acknowledge some of the special gifts and abilities that this specific child will have while they are on this earthly journey.

And I love the tradition of creating an heirloom for the event. I have sewn a dress for each one of my grand daughters and quite often the crotchet blanket has been created by the great grandmas. This time Rebekah & Curtis were fairly specific about the style of dress they wanted for Sadies. It was a fun challenge. Though I have sewn since I was like six years old I have never implemented "heirloom" sewing techniques such as lace to lace joining and fabric to lace so you can hardly tell there is a seam.

First, finding the fabrics and laces for this type of sewing was CRAZY! I searched in every fabric store between Provo to Layton. NOTHING-- actually there is a store in Provo but I didn't want to brave the freeway construction. FINALLY! I found a lady in Murray that sells lace on line that would sell it to me out of her house. I found the linen fabric at Little Things Means A Lot factory outlet. By the way-- they have a sale this weekend. Then I had to research the sewing technique. I checked books out of the library and purchased some magazines. But the best place was on-line tutorials-- by Martha Pullen's Sew Beautiful Magazine
created form various pictures and from our our own ideas. Rebekah and Curtis would look at some options and make suggestions, I would sew to that point, then we would continue until it was done. little Sadies' had a few fittings and on the last day a photo shoot with her papa once she was all dressed up. Here are more pictures of that special day. You can also see pics on Bekah's blog











2 comments:

Bekah said...

The dress was so beautiful! Thank you so much for taking this challenge because you truely outdid yourself. Love you mom!

Kristi said...

So pretty. I need sewing lessons.