Sunday, September 4, 2011


I am fascinated by history of Europe between the first and second world wars. I am fascinated by how people lived their lives around some of the most atrocious days of the Holocaust. And this was while my parents were young and falling in love and starting their lives. The little that we know about Rod's great grandparents-- they immigrated to Canada around 1910 and then choose to go back to the Galatia region of Poland (which is now in the Ukraine) in the 1920's. Even though records have them listed as catholic-- with a name like Krajewski I wonder if they converted. Five years ago Rod, Rachael, Gio and I had the opportunity to travel to Krakow and visit Aushwuitz. The next day we traveled over the mountains to Budapest and spent a couple of days there. I don't remember hearing or knowing much about Budapest or even Hungary other then they were a communist block country behind the iron curtain when I was growing up. So when I saw a review about this book LAST YEAR(!) I actually went to Barnes & Noble and bought it. It is a story about 3 Hungarian/Jewish brothers from a small town outside of Budapest starting around 1921. The book then sat around my house for the whole year. I kept hoping someone would read it and tell me if they liked it. But my mom (who reads the ends of the books before deciding to read the whole thing) found it too depressing. Finally knowing I had a weekend trip to San Diego with a lot of down time-- I cracked the cover. And I really enjoyed it. Rarely does a book bring me to tears but at one point when the main character and his parents are saying good bye-- it really hit me -- as a mother, as a daughter, as a human. How difficult those goodbyes were-- not knowing what would be ahead. And also, what difference forks in the road could make. Is it luck or divine providence. And what story is in our history that would inspire people? I recommend this 602 page book and if you want to borrow it-- let me know.

No comments: