Sunday, May 10, 2009

The women who inspire me










Oh mother I give you my love with each flower. To give forth sweet fragrance a whole lifetime through. For if I love blossoms and meadows and walking, I learn how to love them, dear Mother, from you.


Mothers Day is an interesting day in most every woman's life. It is a day to reflect on your mother, being a mother and other mothers who touch your life. Sometimes it is a day to reflect on missed opportunities of life. But today has been a day of joy. Much of it due to my thoughtful husband (thanks for the roses and the stuffed french toast and strawberries this morning) and also my wonderful children who give me so much, especially my fabulous grand children. I am so grateful for my beautiful mother, for Lova and for my wonderful daughters. For sweet sisters and sisters in laws and nieces. For good friends who are like my sisters and for animals who give us the opportunity to mother. For the little spirits who our Heavenly Father entrusts to our care for a life time. Some of these sweet sisters are close and some are distant. Some have passed onto other spheres. A few months ago I penned a few thoughts for Rachael that are sacred to me. I have held them close to my heart, but now I want to share them and dedicate them not only to my four daughters and to my mother, but my to all of those women that have touched my life.

January 10, 2009 2 am Milan, Italy
My dear sweet daughter,
As you labor only steps away blocked from me by these hazy glass doors, all of my thoughts, prayers and love surround you with all of the parts of my soul. You so valiantly labored today drawing first on your own powers, then of those around you and then your Supreme Creator. What a gift to be able to give life, To allow it to nurture and grow inside of you. And then to go through the process of allowing that little life to be borne. Now this sweet little spirit represents all of the generations that came before her. Many are gone and some remain. I remember the night of your birth. I labored, then pushed you until your sweet little face appeared. And I fell in love with you immediately. Then an overwhelming love for my own mother filled my heart. I then could understand what it meant to be a mother, to love as a mother and cry as a mother. Many times through your life we have discussed "mothering" How many people have been a mother to you ... and mothered by you. but beyond all of those I am so grateful that I could be YOUR mother. What a gift you have been. And as we have been able to share life also as friends, it is important for me that you know that I love you.

6 comments:

bella utahan said...

The images themselves speak volumes- but the sweet words accompanying them are a AWESOME compliment! I am emotional after reading what you wrote the day of Charlotte's birth! I had many of those same feelings!
I love you and am grateful that we have so many fantastic memories together~ BTW: how appropriate that you post about inspiring women right after the dysfunctional family post!

Kristi said...

That is such a sweet post! I love the tribute to motherhood. You are such a great mother and grandmother to all of us!

donna royce said...

TR, you touched my heart with the photos. AND who else but Mom Royce would smile while holding a pig! I miss her so much.

Thanks for the touching thoughts on how precious our calling is as a 'mother'.

Teresa said...

Donna, you do know that you are among this list for me. I just didnt have any pictures on this computer that I could find of you. There are a lot of pictures missing, my sisters, other sisters in laws, my multiple nieces, my friends and co- workers :) .... --- Hey, we missed you in SoCa. But had a great time with your family.

Royce's said...

What a wonderful post! It truly is a great gift to be a mother and all mothers should be so greatful to be blessed with such a wonderful job. You are a wonderful mother, friend, sister and rolemodel for other mothers like myself! You have raised wonderful children and grandbabies. I am so honored to be a part of that. You make me want to be a better mother. Thank you!

outlaw in TX said...

I know and I also know that you are a sweet 'sister' and friend to me. Love you tons for letting me share your kiddos and grand kiddos. You're the BEST!!!