Friday, January 9, 2009

NYC,Paris, Rome & Milano




What do these 4 cities have in common besides being the fashion capitals of the world? I was in all 4 within 24 hours!! I took a midnight flight from SLC to NYC, arrived about 7 am and took the subway into the city. I walked around, took the subway to Canal street where I accomplished one of my "bucket list" goals-- to shop the back rooms of the black market for a good deal. I was a little concerned that since I was by myself that I was doing something fairly foolish, but it was fun and in the end, I believe I got a good deal on some black market name brand (most likely knock off) purses. Then I found a UPS store to ship them home. I also found a fun fabric store to pick up some lining for the blessing dress for our little silician. I love fabric shops in NYC. I would aboslutely go nuts if I lived there all of the time. Then I took the subway back up town and got off around 5th ave and 42nd street. The stores are all having great after Christmas sales --- if only I had more space....... Maybe some day the girls and I can do a weekend in NYC. It would be so fun to see a play. I am not so sure about winter time though. But it wasnt too bad. I walked through the south end of Central Park. There was a film set for Gossip Girls-- my wbff's Jamie & Danny's fav. I was gloing to pull out my camera and take some pictures when I realized I must have left it home on the table with my cell phone charger. Ughhhh!
Oh well. Central Park was beautiful. The little lakes were frozen over and there were swans and ducks swimming in the little areas protectd by low hanging tree branches. I kept thinking how different it was without Rod-- I can see the picture possibilities but nobody to snap the pictures. I walked over to the Manhatten temple to the distribution center and picked up a couple of items (which turned out to be a very good idea). Then decided to head back to the JFK. I got there about 3pm and needed a boarding pass. My luggage was checked in SLC to Milan so I didnt need to check luggage but I still had to wait in line with about 500 other people all checking in for 3 Air France trans atlantic flights. I was in line for nearly 2 hours! The staff at Air France seemed so disorganized and didnt do a very good job relaying information to the people in line-- what line to stand in, where to drop off their luggage for security screening. I heard the luggage screeners complaing about how disorganized Air France was. Then, finally on to the plane. It was an overnight flight (2nd night on a plane with very little sleep once again) and finally landing at Charles de Gall in Paris. That airport is HUGE!! and very confusing. There was snow on the ground and I had been talking to my plane neighbor who was from Florida and had never seen snow-- how some airports dont have equipment to deal with snow so when they get it, it can really cause problems. Boy did I forshadow that statement!! We soon found out that all flights into Milan where stopped. There were people at the airport that had been stuck there for 2 days trying to get flights into Milan. They had us pick up our luggage-- another 1-2 hour ordeal-- I only found one bag-- then they had us stand in line until they could figure out what to do with us. After about 2 hours of that fun (by the way-- Waiting your turn in line is not something Italians do well and that terminal was filled with 100's of Italians). They told us that Milan had received 1 meter of snow anod no flights were coming in. They also said that the trains were stuck in Lyon so nothing was getting through the center of Europe. They offered flights into Venice or Rome on standby. I decided that spending a 3rd night in an airport was NOT going to happen and that my chances of getting into Milan would be better from the south and from an Italian city, so, ofter not getting on the Venice flight, I took the Rome flight. ANYTHING to get out of the line of the other 500 angry people (and did I mention how un organized Air France is and how Italians dont like to stand in line?) To make matters worse, I had no way to call Rachael and update them on where I was. I know she would be tracking my flights but would have no idea of what I would do next. So I started asking people if they would mind if I could call my pregnant daughter. Eventaully I would have to rely on 6-7 various strangers for that favor through the course of the day. That was the worst part of the whole thing. Anyways--- back to my drama-- on to another Alitalia flight to Rome (a code share to Delta). Then pick up my one bag (with the car seat inside) file a missing bag claim, then I went upstairs went back to air france and found that I could get the last flight-- and one of the very few flights that came into Milan, arriving about midnight. So what an adventure-- lots of lines, I read 2 books, watched 2 movies on the plane and slept only about 2 hours over 2 full nights. But I am finally here in Milan!! waiting for our little sicilian to come-- maybe today on 1-9-09! Well see if these contractions lead to anything. Rachael and I walked around the center last night. The Duomo is beautiful and doesnt have any scaffolding! Some of the Christmas lights are still up. The castle sparkles and hascascade up and down like the Disneyland castle lights. Inside the galleria they have beautiful blue lights in the center. I hope all of these lights are up when Rod comes on the 18th. Rachael & Gio's aprtment is really cute. Very European. Her kitchen is like a doll house-- everything is miniture. She has been trying to teach me the bus/ trolley and subway connections so I wont be so lost when she is in the hospital. I am almost through with my 3rd book and I know where Zara and 2 H&M's are. So the adventure continues!!

4 comments:

Bekah said...

Amazing Race here you come! I can't even imagine going through all that, I would have atleast had a couple of breakdowns! I am so relieved that you finally made it and can be there with Rach. Another bright note thank goodness for Zara and H&M. I am passed jealousy at this point. I love you guys and miss you

Kristi said...

I agree about planning the NYC girl trip! We can see a couple of shows, shop, eat, and take pictures. I didn't have my camera when I spent my one day in New York either!
Send some pictures as soon as the little one arrives!!!

Amy E. said...

You're right...I couldn't wait until Friday to read your blog!

Okay...I say we apply for the amazing race. Between the two of us we have enough world travel experience to handle anything thrown at us--as long as you do the food challenge!

Like Becca I'm jealous too about the Zara and H&M stores. And can you pretend I'm one of your girl's for the NYC trip?

Mommy Madness said...

WOW, what a crazy travel experience. But I'm sure it was all worth it to be there to hold your newest granddaughter.